Animal Care Technician
Position Posting: Animal Care Technician
The Humane Society for Greater Savannah is always seeking applicants for the full-time, hourly position of Animal Care Technician. This position pays $11/hr without benefits and requires an in person interview and a half day working interview.
With direct oversight, provides humane care for sheltered animals by feeding and caring for animals, cleaning, maintaining the facility and providing customer service/information regarding animal care and other resources. Provide counseling and education for the general public regarding HSGS policies and animal welfare issues when appropriate. Ensure thorough and timely notification of any animal or organization related issues to supervisory staff. This is a full or part-time position and includes evening, weekend, and holiday scheduling.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for providing high quality care to the animals housed at the Humane Society of Greater Savannah (HSGS):
A. Daily Animal Care
- Complete daily health and behavior observations of all animals and report any concurs to medical/coordinators immediately.
- Cleans and sanitizes animal kennels and cages for disease control.
- Conducts routine “spot” checks and cleaning throughout the day.
- Provides shelter animals with adequate food and water on a daily basis and in a timely manner.
- Handle animals in a safe and humane manner.
- Promote the mental health of the sheltered animals by providing behavioral enrichment as needed.
- Participate in exercise, socialization, and behavioral training of animals to enhance their well-being and adoptability.
- Properly dispose of general and hazardous waste
- Monitor for signs of illness and report it to medical/coordinators immediately.
- Assist with grooming and bathing of animals as needed.
- Ensure that all animals have clean blankets or appropriate bedding and approved toys at all times.
- Ensure all dishes, laundry, litter boxes, and animal carriers are sanitized.
- Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Advise appropriate staff about animal medical or behavioral concerns.
- Advise appropriate staff about customer service and/or personnel issues in a discreet and professional manner.
- Advise on ways to improve a process or procedure.
- Field general inquiries from staff, volunteers, and the public in a calm, courteous, and respectful manner.
- Communicate effectively and completely on all documentation, including date, time, and initials for every note or memo written.
- Check daily for follow-ups on any pending issues
- Assist with training volunteers.
- Monitor inventory of supplies and notify appropriate personnel when supplies are needed.
- Ensure materials on kennels and cages are kept clean, dry, and accurate.
- Do “lock up” procedures in the evening to ensure all entrances are locked and light are turned off.
- Accept in-kind donations of food and/or supplies and ensure that they are properly distributed for use or stored.
- Order and stock cleaning supplies.
- Check daily for follow-ups on any pending issues.
- Ensure the cleanliness and organization of assigned work areas, including daily removal of trash and clutter, and restocking of supplies.
- Maintain entire facility in a clean and orderly manner.
- Conducts facility maintenance and ground keeping.
- Repair or report any broken or damaged equipment in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent education.
- Basic computer skills.
- Basic knowledge and ability to understand aspects of disease and the causes and treatment of animal-related problems.
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and tolerate noxious odors and high noise levels.
- Critical evaluation and observation skills.
- Good communications skills.
- Valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds safely.
- Must be able to perform repetitive tasks.
- Understand and support the HSGS values, philosophies, and policies.
Contact Information: Please send resume and cover letter to Courtney Foor, Adoption Center Manager, at email@example.com
The Humane Society for Greater Savannah is a Drug-Free Workplace.